YOUR CONSULTATION WITH YOUR DOCTOR
- Your doctor will advise the time, date and direction where to attend for your biopsy.
- Ask your doctor for your bone marrow biopsy request form for the procedure.
- Inform your doctor if you are taking medications which thins your blood. These medications include Warfarin (Marevan or Coumadin), Clexane, Aspirin, Iscover, Plavix, Fragmin or Dindevan. Ask if you should stop taking this medication before your biopsy and when you should start taking your medications again.
- Inform your doctor if you are diabetic. Ask if you should take your medication on the morning of your biopsy and if you should take the medication after your procedure when you are given something to eat and drink.
- Inform your doctor if you take medication for high blood pressure. Do not take your blood pressure medication on the morning of your procedure.
- Ask your doctor what pathology test may be needed on the morning of your biopsy and if special preparation is needed.
- Ask your doctor for a medical certificate if needed for your employer.
ON THE DAY OF YOUR BIOPSY
- Please organise a family member or friend to take you to hospital on the day of the biopsy and collect you afterward.
- Expect to stay at this hospital for three to four hours.
- If you take medication for high blood pressure, do not take the medication on the morning of your biopsy, but please bring it with you to take after the procedure. Please tell the nurse you have brought your medication.
- Do not eat or drink anything from 12 midnight before your biopsy. You are permitted to take your normal medication with a sip of water, except your blood pressure medication.
- Please arrive at the Day Oncology Unit reception desk at least 15 minutes before your appointment time. This allows time allows for additional pathology tests to be collected, if required. Your doctor will advise you if special preparation is required for these tests.
WHAT TO BRING ON THE DAY OF YOUR PROCEDURE
- Bone marrow biopsy request form supplied by your consulting doctor.
- Completed admission forms found in your admission booklet.
- Wear comfortable clothing.